Monday, October 2, 2017

It's Been A Long Time...

Looks like I was so busy reading last year that I forgot to blog about all the amazing books I've read.  I could go on and on, but I want to focus on my favorite book of the 2016-2017 school year, The War That Saved My Life, by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley.  This wonderful historical fiction book was recommended to me by one of my students, Julia Garrido.
The time period of the book is World War II and the main character is ten-year-old Ada who has never left her one-room apartment.  Ada's mother is embarrassed by her disabled daughter and refuses to let her outside.  In the story, her little brother is shipped out of the city to escape the war and Ada sneaks out to join him.  The rest of the book starts a life-changing adventure for Ada, her brother, and Susan Smith, the woman who is forced to become their guardian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment